Wednesday 25 March 2015

My Story: Part 2



After the birth of my precious daughter I started to relax into motherhood as I did with my son. 

But just a few days later I returned to hospital with a Streptococcus infection. I was also having real trouble breastfeeding, a terrible burning sensation. I told the midwife something wasn't quite right, but all she could see was the latch was on correctly so there shouldn't be a problem. After a couple of days of IV antibiotics in hospital I went home to finish off my course and soon felt a little better. Breastfeeding, however, continued to be a struggle. I just couldn't understand why, this time, it was proving to be incredibly painful. Another midwife inspected me and said everything seemed fine. But one night I had to really psyche myself up to breastfeed, I latched my baby on and bit down on my finger while she fed to divert the pain in my chest. I knew this was insane. Nobody should be breastfeeding like this. Through gritted teeth and eyes blurry with tears, I researched 'pain during breastfeeding' and discovered I had thrush. I went straight to the doctor who gave me the relevant medication for myself and my daughter.

Over the following two weeks I developed a further infection and mastsis.

After this roller-coaster I was mentally and physically all over the shop. My Graves disease was completely unstable with constant adjustments every 3-6 months. My thyroid it seems, reflected my general wellbeing and health. I lost my baby weight but I was eating terribly, comforting myself with sweets and and stodgy treats. To make matters worse, my husband also developed a disease and I lost a family member to cancer. I felt awful. Body pain, thyroid issues, digestive problems and a creeping sense of disassociation...

I was really beginning to feel like life, sucked..... and i didn't know if I had the desire to start feeling good again.

Stay tuned for Part Three. I promise it definitely gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment