Thursday 19 March 2015

Here's to progress... and setbacks



I love my food, and by my food I mean Haegan Daaz ice cream, chocolate brownies, burgers and Oreo cookie milkshakes. Unfortunately, these foods do not love me. At all. In fact it feels like they straight up hate my body and go nuclear inside me after little more than half an hour.

After spending the weekend with my family and indulging in all sorts of foods that I used to be able to eat almost by the bucketload, my body clapped out on me by Monday. The symptoms I experienced were almost frightening. Symptoms I hadn't experienced before. I started getting pains in my chest (which I have had before), but this time I had pains in my legs and back too. I was so bloated, and felt as if my insides were (to be frank) rotting.

So what can I, and hopefully anybody else reading my account, learn from this? Healing is not easy. In fact it can be overwhelmingly daunting. Since recognising a lot of my symptoms are down to my autoimmune issues I have suffered from so much anxiety and insecurity.

Truth be told, I probably love bad foods way too much. And my love is making me sick. I have dabbled in paleo and dabbled in the gluten and dairy free lifestyle for a few months and found some relief in these eating habits. But now I'm realising that dabbling does not lead to lasting change. In anything. Whether that be half heartedly trying to get a promotion at work, dabbling in studying for a qualification, or as in my case, eating for pure health and nutrition only some of the time. As Maya Angelou said "Nothing will work unless you do." And part of the key is finding what works for you and committing to it. I am now more than ever realising the importance of putting my health first. I invite you to make a commitment, one that will bring real healing or meaning in your life, and put it at the foremost of your mind. Think on it daily, as a promise to yourself. The results will be incredible.

What other ways do you look after yourself, or would like to?

No comments:

Post a Comment