Thursday 19 March 2015

Getting my strength back



So I have a bit of a confession. I have always wanted to be a blissed out yogi. With long flowing wavy locks, slender limbs and a taut tummy. There are just a few problems with achieving this. I can find yoga a bit boring. I have natural afro hair that shrinks as soon as moisture (sweat) hits it. I am only 5ft “3 inches. I have a long torso, short chunky legs and I’ve had two children. As the years have gone by, I’ve seen this fictional, idealised, yogic self getting further and further away from my actual reality. But last year, I’d had enough. I began to realise how impossibly miserable this endeavour was making me, especially because much of what I was doing at the time wasn’t even healthy.

I needed to finally be at peace with myself. To simply just BE. But I knew I needed to fix a few things in order to be able to do this. The number one thing I started doing last year was exercising. I took up pilates once a week  which slowly began to strengthen my body, but after a few months I knew my body needed more. 

That’s when I stumbled across Beachbody’s PIYO by Chalene Johnson. And that has made all the difference! I have so many exercise videos, all of which I have probably only used 5 times each at the most. The reason why I stuck to PIYO, was because I was desperate. Signing up to the free online coaching service kept me accountable in a way I couldn’t have done by myself (I didn’t sign up for the Shakeology as I’m in the UK). Hurting my back to the point where  I couldn’t look after my children for a few days every winter for two years was the final straw for me. At 29 years old I felt this was far too young to be feeling that way. This workout is the perfect blend of pilates and yoga with some cardio thrown in which will make you sweat like a beast (or least I did)!  For me, exercising was the first step in getting my life back on track. Feeling (and dressing) like a sack of potatoes will not do anything for your sense of self worth or self esteem (more on how I try to dress in a later post). Move in your body, aim to become strong. Work on your weak spots, allow yourself to grow and feel a new sense of achievement. I believe in you. xxx 

How has fitness changed your life? What tips would you offer those who want to get into fitness? Do you have fitness goals? What keeps you from getting fit, if you would like to? 

To find out more about PIYO check out this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment